Sunday, August 30, 2009

Happy 50th Anniversary






Gerald and I were married 50 years ago today, August 30, 1959, in Booneville, Arkansas. He was 21 and I was 20 and I never thought we'd live long enough to celebrate 50 years together, not because we weren't commited to staying together but because being 70 and 71 seemed so OLD. Two weeks after our wedding he entered medical school in Oklahoma City and I went back to finish my last semester at OSU in Stillwater. We spent the first 4 1/2 months of our marraige with me commuting on weekends while he was adjusting to med school and the accompanying marathon study sessions. The next year I landed a position teaching home economics in a junior high school and had a wonderful 3 years there before we moved to Portland.




We stayed in Portland and the only thing we regret is leaving family and friends behind, especially raising kids who grew up with their grandparents several thousand miles away.


Friends ask, "How did you do it, stay married so long?". It wasn't easy and there were times when we'd each have been glad to walk away, but we went into marraige having promised God that this was forever and neither of us were willing to turn away, even in some of the rough patches. We respect each other and we've given each other room to grow as individuals while supporting one another and looking to a gracious God for help and thanking him for life's many blessings.

This week we are in Kauai with our son, our daughter, our son-in-law and 4 grandchildren, and we're having the time of our lives. I love waking up to the sound of the ocean and taking a long early morning walk along the beach before joining the others for our morning coffee. Life is slower here and so peaceful. We might not go home.

10 comments:

  1. Congrats to both you and Gerald! Wow! You both look great and I love your wedding picture!!
    Enjoy your time In Kauai! I'd want to stay and never leave also!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! 50 years WOW! I loved what you wrote about marriage, too. I think you've really summed it up well. It sounds like you're having a wonderful trip, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo (& Gerald),

    Congratulations on 50 years....may there be many more to come! 70 and 71 are not old!!!!!

    I'm glad you are having a great time. Hawaii is seductive. But I would miss you if you stayed there!!!

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful accomplishment, congratulations! Love your happy, happy wedding photo. Your beautiful smile hasn't changed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post. It's an honor for all of us to share/celebrate your golden anniversary!!! You look so pretty (before & after photos). Thank you for saying that marriage is both hard and easy....that we must be committed individuals first and foremost.
    Warmly, gina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jo, 50 years, congratulations!!!
    You both look mighty fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary Jo! How DO you do it? wow. that is a LONG time. I am glad to see you are admitting that there are times when you would walk away, that's a hard thing to do. But, we all know it's true, for each and every relationship. And you are in Hawaii? rough life huh? glad to see you are still blogging. I loved Hawaii in April. Your photos are beautiful. I see you packed your supplies. I hope you will share a collage or two with us from Hawaii. I did two when I was there, coffee beans and a birds of paradise! I love your listing of the stuff you packed for the flight! I SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF THAT! I read collage books for 8 + hours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very happy anniversary!

    My parents just celbrated their 60th on the 21st of August.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to all of you for your posts and your congratulations. We had such a good time sharing our anniversary week with our family... and with you. We're in Cannon Beach, OR this week and finally had our anniversary dinner at JP's, our favorite restaurant around here. Neither of us were sick :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniversary Jo & Gerald!!

    (sorry this is so late, somehow I missed this news)

    You both are such treasures and an inspiration to us.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate comments and questions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...