Friday, August 07, 2009

Hawaii Travel Art Journal 2009


I've been working on the journal that I'll take to Hawaii in a couple of weeks. I decided to go with a 6X6" format and started by cutting lots of paper to size. I used some of my stencil paper from class as well as commercial scrapbook paper with designs on both sides, and I added plenty of 90# watercolor paper. Then I sewed narrow pieces together to get a full size page, adding embellishments. I left space for journaling both on plain paper and on top of decorated paper. I'll work on the journal on the plane as well as once we arrive.









Tomorrow my daughter and her 3 oldest will come over to construct their own journals. I have lots of cut-t0-size paper as well as lots of pretty paper to add to their pages. The oldest will be in charge of the sewing machine; the oldest daughter knows how to use my paper cutter; the youngest will be comic relief and creative director; my daughter will supervise, and I'll punch the holes for binding.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Jo,
    I am really impressed with your journal. I can't wait to see it after your trip. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo this is a great idea!!! It came out wonderful. I love all the different papers and stuff you used in it and the dividers are perfect! Did you use spray ink on the cover, and did you bind it yourself??

    Have a wonderful trip, when do you leave??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks jgr and Mary. For sure I'll show you the "after" pictures.. I hope it'll be crammed.
    Mary, I used spray paint on the cover but I'm switching to spray ink. I like them a lot and can work with them in my studio and on the spot rather than having to take time to set up a spray area. I like the Memories Mist best so far. We're still 2 1/2 weeks away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Jo! This is beautiful! Nice stencil work, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jo. I am utterly in love with your travel journals! They're so inspiring! May I ask you, how do you bind your own journals? Warmly, gina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Jo! I loved MA's class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jo! This journal is BEAUTIFUL! I love your blog! I will add you to my blog roll on my blog! I must get some time to look your blog over! Looks like you had a grand time in beautiful Hawaii! YOUR journal is fantastic!

    I to Miss MA's first spraypaint class & LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your journal is fabulous! I haven't started stenceling yet but I'm excited to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your comments, everyone. Let me know if you have any other questions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun travel journal to take on your trip to Hawaii and it's great you'll have fellow journalers with you. Have a wonderful vacation. I'll look forward to seeing your journal when you return home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate comments and questions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...