|Dreamtime Garden by Jo Reimer|
Collage Painting. 11 x 14 on cradled panel.
Though I haven't been posting much recently I have been working steadily on a variety of works, mostly collages that I've created using papers I've painted for that purpose.
- I am adapt at cutting fabric and piecing it together to make garments, home decor, and quilts.
- I have a strong background in hand and machine embroidery, designing the work and stitching in fine detail.
- I've done lots of applique which is defined as stitching small pieces of fabric to larger pieces.
- I'm comfortable with moving fabric and paper around, creating pleasing arrangements that can be adjusted before adhering them in place permanently.
- It's easy for me to compose with bits and pieces of colored papers but not so easy to arrive at a pleasing painting using only paint and a brush, and at my stage in life I don't want to spend the time and focus that's necessary to develop another skill.
However, I do love the process of painting, of applying paint to paper with all sorts of applicators such as brush, stick, sponge, cloth, spray, dripping, dyeing and so on. So I spend time now and then painting papers to give it surface texture and pattern and then use the accumulation of papers to make my collage paintings. This works for me.
How about you? How did you get to where you are? How did your interests form? I'd love to hear.