Friday, January 01, 2016

Ending the Day with a Grateful Heart

Gratitude: 
grateful, thankful, thanks, thank you, 
thank God, appreciate, praise, much obliged, blessed, 
merci, gracias, merci beaucoup.

What's the origin of The Gratitude Journal? An interview on Oprah maybe, but the origin isn't as important as what you and I will do with the idea. Today, January 1, 2016, is a perfect time to commence keeping a gratitude journal.

My plan is to write a list of 5 things for which I'm grateful in a special journal at the end of each day. 

"Sometimes we should express our gratitude for the small and simple things like the scent of the rain, the taste of your favorite food, or the sound of a loved one's voice. Joseph B. Wirthlin

Cards from my Anti-Depression Box
Greeting Card Gratitude Journal
Various ideas have gelled into my plan for the journal itself. Many people use a desk calendar but I'm going to use old greeting cards that I've received and saved for years. I jokingly call my card collection "my anti-depression box", reading them again whenever I feel a bit blue and am in need of comfort. There are 273 cards in my box, not counting Christmas cards. And now I have an even better way to give them new life... as the pages of a colorful, meaningful journal. 

There's plenty of white space on most of the cards where I can add my daily gratitudes, and I can glue a piece of paper into those with no writing space at all.  Each card has space for 2 to 5 lists of my 5 dailies, and the huge bonus is that it will be like having conversations with the family, friends and students who once sent these dear cards. 

I'll include new cards as they arrive, and when the completed cards reach a certain thickness I'll bind the cards chronologically into a book, probably with a coil binding or maybe just a hole punched in the corner, held together with a book ring.

"Give yourself a gift of five minutes of contemplation in awe of everything you see around you. Go outside and turn your attention to the many miracles around you. This five.minute.a.day regimen of appreciation and gratitude will help you to focus your life in awe." Wayne Dyer

Postcards as Gratitude Journal

Postcards could be bound into a journal. I have lots of blank postcards, some handmade, some from travels, some purchased and never used. I was thinking of tossing them because I rarely send postcards (duh! that's why I have so many in that drawer) but why not make them into a gratitude journal?

"Often people ask how I manage to be happy despite having no arms and no legs. The quick answer is that I have a choice. I can be angry about not having limbs, or I can be thankful that I have a purpose. I chose gratitude."  Nick Vujicic

Index Cards as Gratitude Journal

Buy a stack of index cards, make a simple collage.a.day or drawing.a.day on one side and write your list of gratitudes on the reverse.  

"When we focus on our gratitude, the tide of disappointment goes out and the tide of love rushes in." Kristin Armstrong.

Rolodex as Gratitude Journal

Use your old Rolodex, that one you no longer use because your contacts are on your phone now, or buy a used one at a thrift store. Use it the same way, art on one side, thankfulness list on the other side. 

It's amazing how viewing the world with gratitude lifts one's spirits.

But really, dear reader, the structure of the journal doesn't matter as much as ending the day with a grateful heart.
  1. My bird wind chime reminds me to be thankful that I had a loving mother who once owned it. 
  2. I'm glad I hung onto all those greeting cards and for those who sent them.
  3. Thanks for the idea of setting Bright Lines like my new one: Eat no sugar, ever.
  4. I'm grateful that I can use the Blogger platform free where I can post my ramblings.
  5. I'm thankful for all the people who read my blog.   Jo Reimer, 1/1/16
If you want to send me a card:   Jo Reimer, PO Box 91340, Portland, OR 97291.


6 comments:

  1. Thank you, Jo, for writing this beautiful post. What a great idea to use saved greeting cards for a gratitude journal. You're always so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've put a bunch of cards and some pens in a basket beside my chair, ready for my first night of gratitudes. Let me know what you're doing, too.
      It's so good to hear from you, Sandy. I'm so glad for our friendship.

      Delete
  2. I love the idea using greeting cards. I have boxes and boxes of them from dear friends and my late husband. Thank you. As far as binding. Give me some ideas, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just about perfect for you, Linda. As for binding, once you have a stack of completed cards arrange them and line up the spines and clamp them together with a bulldog clip or other clamp.

      Take them to FedEx-Kinko or an office supply store and have them hole-punched and bound with a coil binding.

      Use your electric drill to make 1 to 3 holes along the spine and insert loose leaf rings, available at office supply stores. This option allows for more cards than does the coil binding.

      Same thing: drill and sew together using Japanese stab binding.

      If you have book binding skills you could sew the cards together at the spine and make them into a book using one of the many non-adhesive methods.

      A description of many bindings with tutorial links can be found here: http://marenne.deviantart.com/journal/A-reference-guide-on-bookbinding-types-454645325

      Let us all know what you did. Many are interested.

      Delete
  3. Jo, it's always so inspiring to read your blog. I love this idea and might do something similar. January holds such promise for a year of possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martha. I'm still writing my thanks in the old postcards, this week in one my daughter sent me 18 years ago.

      Delete

I appreciate comments and questions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...