This is totally off topic unless you consider that painting shoes is somehow akin to making art, but I just had to brag about my outrageous new shoes. I have a pair of Sketchers that fit well but which I considered ugly and useful only for wear in the studio.
So I painted them.
Here are the steps I took:
- clean with acetone.
- paint with gesso
- paint with cadmium red acrylic
- draw circles on the shoes with a black sharpie Paint Pen
- fill in the circles with Titanium white acrylic paint
- touch up where needed
- cut off old strap, leaving 1.5 inches attached at the toe.
- sew 2 black/white ribbons (one striped, one dotted) together back to back and then sew one end onto the remaining strap, by hand.
- cut the ribbon strap to appropriate length and add Velcro to the underside at the end.
- thread the ribbon through the d-rings and fasten.
My DH dared me to wear them to church. Hummmmm. Maybe I'm not THAT brave, but they'll do for the 4th of July party tomorrow.