Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Travel Journal - Hawaii 2001

Going through an old sketchbook that I took to Kauai in 2001 I found a few sketches that I want to share with you, not because they are so good but because I want to encourage you to draw, draw everywhere you go, adding practice hours upon practice, just like learning to play an instrument. The more you do the better you get.
These 5 drawings are the best of what's in the book and no, I'm not planning to show you the other 20+ ugly drawings, but I am encouraged that I do more good drawings now than I did then. Practice makes perfect. This one is my favorite since I collaged the flowers on top of a long dark wall that wasn't working.


The lettering is a rubbing of something I spotted on a building.
I wanted to preserve the beautiful seashells we had gathered so I arranged them on the table and carefully drew them to the best of my ability.





This was part of the view from our lanai, severely edited to remove most buildings and plants between me and this house.



Another view from the lanai in early morning.


Hibiscus are difficult to draw but I aim to get lots more practice. We're returning to Kauai later this month with our family to celebrate 50 years of marraige.

I got out this old sketchbook today because my daughter and her 3 oldest are coming over Saturday to make travel journals. They all like to draw and collage and I'm doing all I can to encourage them. We'll choose some colorful papers, some watercolor paper, some plain but sturdy cardstock, and then bind them into journals with plans for keeping us entertained on the 5 hour flight and during daily quiet hours. This older sketchbook of mine has brought back such pleasant memories and I'm hoping that making and using their very own travel art journals will will help them remember when they helped their grandparents celebrate a very special time.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your journals Jo! I love to just draw in mine and not worry what they look like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I have only just started to really sketch in my journals and realise how much I need the practise and how much there is to learn. You are quite right, practise, practise, practise, and what wonderful memories you will have from this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:37 PM PDT

    Lovly sketches! I'm off to hawaii next month and seeing your sketches are making me itch to to be there!
    Ronell

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you all like my journals... and Ronell, I wish our trips coincided. I'd love to meet you in person. We'll be in Kauai for a week starting Aug. 25.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate comments and questions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...