Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Hawaii Art Journal

I had grandeous ideas about journaling every day, every time I had a minute to sit down I'd add a sketch or words or paste in some decorative bit of paper, and every day I'd work with my grandkids and help them build their own journal. Right. Best laid plans for journaling never seem to work out for me. Some of these pages have appeared here in my blog as "starts". I added to a bit to them on location but most have been completed since I got home.
I stripped the airline magazine of interesting words and pictures and culled more from a variety of advertising brochures that I picked up in stores or at the airport. These add interest to my pages but they weren't used except to augment entries about something we actually did or saw.


Our grandson, Lucas, added much of the comic relief to our days but he never did get adjusted to the 3 hours difference in time zones, insisting on getting up before the sun rose.

Since this blog is supposed to be about my art-making I'll tell you a bit about how I created each page and if you have other questions just email me. The fruit page was so simple. I used a commercial scrapbooking paper cut to fit my journal and added the text by hand and the title using a stencil.


Starbucks is another scrapbook paper with photos and stencil. I'm trying to remember to take shadow self-portraits often. It's usually only possible in early morning or late afternoon when the sun is low. The people in the small photo are my daughter and four grandchildren.



This page was spray stenciled at home and I added lots of bits later. The photo is of my son.


This paper was painted and stenciled at home with a bit of fabric and a garment label stapeled to the paper.
















I did this watercolor sketch from a photograph.




And this sketch is from a magazine picture. I usually don't use photo references from anyone else but this is an exception.








Prepainted paper with label torn from the ice cream cup and a photo of the trunk of a tree.


This page was created at home using fabric, paper and my sewing machine, and the writing that can't be read was done on my anniversary when my husband got sick and we had to cancel our celebration plans. I was a little upset but more for him than for me. He so wanted to give me a day to remember and he couldn't help getting sick. We'll both remember this day for several reasons. It really was a wonderful day from the beautiful sunrise to its quiet end. Our precious son-in-law cooked a gourmet breakfast for everyone, we enjoyed time with all our family, and we had some time away in a beautiful place. And when we returned to our house we had peace and quiet to rest and dream and pray. It really doesn't get any better than that. And I didn't have to cook a single meal all day.



I intended for us to recite our vows for our family and at breakfast I started talking about our wedding day. I described the pink suit i made and wore for going away, with its matching hat, white shoes and gloves, and how we stopped for dinner at a chicken restaurant, and wondered how the owner knew that we were just married. But I didn't get much farther than describing the place we stayed before I got all teary with nostalgea and couldn't go on and pull off the recitation of vows. But we do still love and cherish one another through bad times and good and we'll still be together when one of us dies.





This is the view from our lanai, a watercolor done one afternoon while we were enjoying pupus and drinks. Everyone was fascinated, watching me capture what I saw, and I drew a couple of ooohs and aaahhs when I painted the sky. Some people are so easily entertained!






This is a stencil I cut from a photo of my youngest granddaughter, Sarah. She's such a sweetie, full of energy and fun and ideas for what to do next. All the kids are waterbabies and strong swimmers so they all took to snorkeling very quickly, and even had a Snuba lesson... diving with an instructor and their father floating above ready to come to their rescue. He's a certified diver.
Rick rack makes excellent waves aboue a colorful fabric ocean, don't you think?


This was my planning page. I added a couple of plastic slide holders to the page and inserted a luggage tag and my boarding pass as well as a bougainvillea flower petal. And I made lists of things I wanted to do.







That's it. I have a few blank pages of watercolor paper and will do a few more sketches in the book but it's essentially finished and I'm ready to move on.

5 comments:

  1. Jo this is wonderful!! A treasure comes to mind in fact! I will be back, I have to run and I want to explore it more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo, I love these! every one! You are a creative dynamo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jo, for sharing your journal pages. I love the layers and how you used your photos, sketches and stencils along with your written jouranl entries. Glad you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo....you blow me away with your art journal. What beautiful treasure you are building for yourself & then sharing it with us. Page by page. Moment to moment. You are truly gifted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for your nice comment. I hope that sharing my journals will be encouraging to everyone who sees them, and that you'll each learn a bit about journal keeping.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate comments and questions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...