Saturday, March 28, 2009

Cliff Face at Cannon Beach, Oregon

One recent day at the beach I did a quick sketch of the cliff at the north end of the beach at Cannon Beach and back in my studio I printed the the drawing four-up on heavy paper. Being a woman who like to keep busy, even in front of the TV I took out the drawing and some watercolor pencils and started fiddling with colorways, thinking about doing the piece as an abstracted design to be done as a watercolor. The pencils don't usually appeal to me, though I know that lots of people use them, especially for quick sketches. I prefer the crayons.


Here's the original drawing and my first attempts at adding color. The top two were done with the watercolor pencils as I sat watching TV with half my mind and playing with the other half. I did the bottom ones just now with watercolor paint and water.

2 comments:

  1. Jo, Your drawings make me want to go to the beach and sketch. I like how you played with coloring your cliff sketch. Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are terrific Jo! I love the look of the watercolor pencils!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate comments and questions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...