Monday, January 24, 2011

Little Jo and the Red Chair


Little Jo and the Red Chair
5x7
Daily Collage

There's something about this photograph that appeals to me and I intend to use it for several of my daily collages as sort of a self portrait, though my dad took the picture when I was only three years old. There are a couple of other useful photos in my collection of childhood snapshots, taken with his old bellows camera.

While many artists prefer to make digital collages, I find more satisfaction in working with scissors and glue, getting sticky fingers and coming up with even more ideas as I work quietly at my table.

For me, hands-on making will always be my choice route to finished work, though I also intend to send myself to my own home-school, sitting at the computer to study Photoshop. I've taken 3 PS workshops but my mind doesn't want to retain what I learn and I forget the information somewhere between the classroom and my garage. Layers, lasso tools, and palette wells are just so much noise to my right brain, but I do want to develop a firm working knowledge of the program because I see many ways it would be useful to me as I work with my photographs.

3 comments:

  1. I so agree with you. Sometimes with a computer the art is just the art of moving a mouse. there is something to be said for getting yout hands fully engaged. BTW i love your curls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why you love using this picture, there is a very winsome quality to your younger selfs expression and I love those curls! Beautiful page, love how you laid it out the use of pattern and the deep red just pops it.
    Also understand the whole learning Photoshop, I'm battling the basics with Elements and it's kicking my butt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the curls! Mother loved Shirley Temple so she tore up a bunch of rag strips and every night wound my hair up in the rags (I don't have a clue as to how she did it) and carefully took them out every morning so I'd have Shirley Temple curls. She even hung an 8x10 photo of Shirley in my bedroom. And no, my hair isn't naturally curly.

    I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hasn't completely embraced the computer in the studio except for blogging.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate comments and questions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...