Monday, April 02, 2018

Making a Stripe Collage

Here's a DIY for making a collage of stripes.

By now you may have figured out that I love pure abstract design:

LINE.  SHAPE.  COLOR.

This month I returned to an earlier exploration of using stripes in collage.  What' Going On, an earlier piece owned by a collector, marked the beginning of my playing around with stripes.
What's Going On? 12 x 35.  Sold
This time I'm taking a more structured approach to the stripes.  Here are a few of the new ones, both studies and more complex works.

Red with Blue and Sand - 6x6" study on paper $65

Red with Blue and Sand 12 x 12" on panel  $275

Sand and Sea - Study 6x6" on panel  $65

Sand and Sea  12 x 12" collage on panel  $275

Sand and Sky - 6x6" study on panel  $65

Sand and Sky 12 x 12" collage on panel  $275

Here's how I'm working with stripes this week, in case you want to try your hand at making something similar. I warn you, it's labor intensive.

  1. Cut strips of heavy paper in a variety of widths from 1" to 5" x 11" or 12" long.
  2. Establish a colorway for the work and choose a variety of papers in these colors.
  3. Cut the papers into narrow strips of varying widths.
  4. Use your favorite adhesive to glue the papers to the heavy paper backing.
  5. Now that you have an assortment of striped papers assemble them into a pleasing composition and glue them to your substrate. I prefer a flat or cradled panel or 300# watercolor paper or museum board.  
  6. After all is dry apply a thin coat of gloss medium to the surface.

If you want to purchase any of my work please send me an email or visit my gallery at Daily Paint Works.  

Your visit to my blog is deeply appreciated.
 Jo Reimer

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments and questions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...