Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Travel Oregon... a handmade sewn journal

Inside front cover with pocket.

 My college roommate/sorority sister paid us a long-overdue visit in June and we did the usual tourist things: streetcar and light rail in downtown Portland, the Mt. Hood Loop drive back through the Columbia River Gorge, lunch on the water, shopping for fleece, plus we spent a week at the beach where we enjoyed long walks along the waters edge.

One of the beach days was the Cannon Beach Plein Air Paintout so of course we spent the bulk of the day watching artists at work, even though conditions weren't optimal. It's hard to paint when a cold wind is blowing sand in your face and interested people want to engage the artist in converstation... but they managed to make some very nice art which was on display the next day. No, I didn't participate; I just watched.

My friend Debby is a basketmaker and since she gave me one of her incredible baskets last fall I wanted to do something for her, to remind her of this precious time in Oregon. So I made her a journal using the structure I learned from Patty Van Dorin, called Wall Calendar Journal.  Here are some pictures of the pages before she started work in the book.  Unfortunately, I neglected to scan the front and back cover of the journal.
Debby is the girl on the right; my photo is below.
This is from the Okla. State Univ. 1959 yearbook.

The rest of the pages from Debby's journal, Travel Oregon, can be viewed in my Flickr album here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments and questions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...